Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 9 April 2006

Tokyo is greener than you think

I visited a museum right in the centre of Tokyo today. It's called the Idemitsu Museum, and it's located on the ninth floor of a building just opposite the Imperial Palace.
I took a photo of the view to show you what the centre of Tokyo looks like - much greener than you imagined, I should think. As I said before, it's not at all the type of cityscape I expected to find before I moved here
I really love this part of Tokyo. It reminds me of New York or Paris or the other great cities of the world. Wide boulevards. Tall skyscapers. Lush gardens hiding a little cafe or a quiet corner to read in.
However, walk twenty minutes in one direction and you're in the neon and concrete heart of the city. Twenty minutes more, and you can be in a tightly packed, maze of backstreets, home to old restaurants, shops and houses. Twenty minutes more, and you hit some old, Buddhist temple.
This town has so many different sides to it - I can't wait for you to get here and see it, Big Sis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers