Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Friday 7 September 2007

Afternoon tea


As I said, Ireland's history is one of successive invasion. Each new wave leaves behind their mark. The Vikings left their ship-building, the British, afternoon tea.
My sis and I stopped in for some tea and scones during a weekend shopping trip in town. The service was great: real linen napkins, real silver service, wait staff in white gloves, the lot!
Well to tell the entire truth, my sister enjoyed the traditional, refined refreshment while I went for the more iron-rich energy drink that is a fine pint of Guinness. Just looking at the photo of it on the table there is making me thirsty. I'm such an alco! As we say here in Ireland, "There's eatin' and drinkin' in it.
It was simple and spontaneous, but one of the happiest moments I've had since I've been back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers