Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 21 October 2009

A new hobby?


'We' Japanese love our hobbies - free time is rarely spent chilling in front of the box and most people plan the activity-filled weekends with military precision.

And it was with such a mindset that some of my colleagues up north took us out sightseeing for the day. We did bowling (I SUCKED) and table tennis (I SEMI-SUCKED) and apple picking (NO REAL SKILL INVOLVED) and archery (I CRIED OFF DUE TO A VICIOUS LADYBIRD ATTACK MOMENTS BEFORE THE LESSON WHICH RESULTED IN A BITE THAT IS STILL RED AND ITCHY THESE 5 DAYS LATER).

But best of all, we got to try our hands at pottery. I loved it and it turns out I might actually have a bit of a Rainman-like gift for the craft: as you can see from the photo above, I made a fairly respectable looking mug for my first ever time to put finger to clay. I will get it back in about month when it's been fired and glazed and I'll try to remember to post an update at that time.

It was so relaxing, just working the clay in a state of zen-like meditation. And then there was something primeval and satisfying about creating something practical from a fairly base material. Needless to say, I am hooked and have already looked into taking some more lessons here in Tokyo. You can see further photos from my adventures here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=327300&id=858385093&l=35ea3225c9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers