Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 1 June 2010

Frosty nipples and curry sweats...

I'm feeling very summery today. I guess it's only natural now that
it's the first of June.

We started "cool biz" in work. This is a fairly standard practice over
here where strict corporate dress codes are relaxed for the summer
months to help reduce the need for excessive air conditioning. It
means that for the next four months I do not need to wear a jacket or
tie, unless I'm with a very important client or at a special event. It
sounds silly but this small change makes everything feel so much
freer. Life in a japanese company can be restrictive and so any little
reduction in the pressure to be "proper" is gladly accepted. You save
a fortune on dry cleaning, too.

Over the years they have tried to introduce various fashions to
respond to this new "cool" market - light fabrics, grandad collars,
short-sleeved suit jackets (thank god that trend never stuck) - but
most people seem to keep to the no jacket and tie idea.

As usual, of course, I'm a few beats out of step with the average
person. I really missed my jacket on the way home tonight: not only
was there a nip in the air, there were two more cuttin' glass inside
my shirt.

To warm up I tried a new Thai restaurant for green curry. I'm still
getting the lovely spice sweats as I sit here typing. It's not hard to
find Thai food in japan, but it is hard to find GOOD thai food, in my
opinion. I've really lucked out of late, though. I've tried two new
places - one upscale and one cheap as chips - in the last two weeks,
and they have both been fantastic. So I am sorted now for curry
cravings whatever my mood and budget. I'm hoping their pad Thai is
up to muster, too.

Oher than that work is still limbo, but I don't care any more. What
will be will be! So, I'm just going to enjoy the fact that, while they
clearly don't know what they're doing with me, I'm getting home at 7
or 8 as opposed to 11 or 12. Result!

iPhoneから送信

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers