Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Saturday 30 October 2010

I'm moving...but only one street over!

It's been a tough two weeks: I have a two-year contract on my current apartment which is due to expire on November 1. I had been told repeatedly for the last three months that, with a little administrative to-ing and fro-ing, I would be able to extend the contract. Then suddenly ten days ago I was told that this would not, in fact, be the case and that I had to find a new place to live, and fast.

Unfortunately, this news came at a time when I was already busy with some extremely time-consuming and stressful duties in my job. So I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed. Nonetheless, I've tried to keep positive and keep the rage strokes to a minimum.

And it's paid off...Long story short, I've found a new place. It's just one street over from where I live now. It's nicer than where I live now. It's amazingly even a little closer to my office, so I will still be walking to and from work. It seems quiet and safe and has a fine garage for Margaret ROTHARford. In fact, it ticked all the boxes except in terms of size. It's exactly the same as my current place at a tiny 23 meters squared. But at least I'm used to such a micro abode and the space seems better organized.

I learned a lot in this process. First and foremost I learned who in my company I can rely on to do their jobs and who in my company are less than useless. I discovered what hugely different places a certain budget can get you in Tokyo's central city. I saw eight places: five were dumps; one was okay; and only two were good. And in all this, price was no great indictor. Some of the crappiest places were also the most expensive. You just have to go see as many places as possible and try to remember what criteria you're willing to be flexible on and what criteria you won't budge on.

So I move on the 3rd next month and will hopefully be back to a settled and comfortable existence shortly after. Until then I have water and gas and the like to cancel and restart, clothes to pack, and new furniture to buy. I'm going to be busy, but at least I will not be homeless.

iPhoneから送信

1 comment:

  1. Hey great that you are moving pat - we are too opn 24th Nov, we have 4 years to pack up and move. Should be a breeze....yeah right!!! We are with you on the packing buzz!

    ReplyDelete

Followers