Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 22 January 2007

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes


Yikes! It's been almost two months since my last post. That's not good. I got preoccupied with living a real life and forgot my cyber existence. I'm back to humdrum lonely days now, so it's time to dust off the blog cap.

I originally intended to try and catch you up on all I've been doing. And there's been a lot: my brother's visit with highlights like wrestling and rollercoasters, a tonne of shopping and even a calligraphy lesson. Moreover I have all the fun and frolics of being home for Christmas to talk about. Oh and I also mustn't forget to wax a bit lyrical about Dutch urinals.

But that's quite a lot to prepare, so for now I'm just going to tell you what I did today.

I went to Otemachi in the centre of Tokyo to a massive skyscraper. One of the companies in this building has converted their basement space into a hydroponic farm. There are six rooms growing rice, herbs, flowers and vegetables under various light and water conditions, all in an enlosed space. There's also a restaurant where you can taste the fruits of their labour.

It's fascinating. I learned a lot about the different types of produce and how various colorus and types of light cause them to grow differently.

The concept is not only educational. They wanted to provide a place for stressed Tokyoites (and there are many - another suicide on the line on my way home!) to get a little closer to nature, see a farmer's work up close and personal, and have a chance to suck up a few negative ions during the day.

My favourite room was definitely the herb room. It was like a free aromatherapy session. Fifty varities of herb gave my nose a ticket out of the concrete jungle.

But second place would have to go to the tomato room. The reflecitve walls made me feel like I was in the Mir Space Station or something.

I had a free sample of their salad in the restaurant. It was really good. But I'm not sure if that was because of the qulaity of the lettuce or because it was free. I'm so stingy.

If you want to see my photos, go to the 'Hydropnics' album at the corner of the main page. I recommend you take a look. It's quite space-age and stylish in a typically Tokyo fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers