Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 29 January 2007

Man waving his wand about...


These past few days I have been suffering from delayed reaction homesickness. Being back in Japan these last two weeks, life has been too hectic to think about missing family and friends. But then it all went quiet and the low feelings hit.
By yesterday morning I was well over my life in Japan. The mood for the day was set to 'I've been here too long!'
On my weekend walk through Tokyo I came across a famous Shinto shrine I had been meaning to visit for ages. A wedding ceremony was taking place. The first time I stumbled across such an event I practically bounced around the place for joy and excitement. It was exotic and different and really underlined the amazing experience I was having living abroad.
But yesterday I was just like, 'What's the point in hanging around for the bride and groom's procession. I've seen it all before. Heck, I've even BEEN in of the ceremonies now.' In short, you could have coloured me underwhelmed.
I left the shrine and a few doors down I came across this little guy waving his wand about in public. And I kind of fell in love with Japan all over again. I mean living in a place that comes up with mechanical wand wavers for their construciton projects can't be all bad.
You see most roads in Japan are incredibly narrow. When these roads are under construction, the traffic would become chaotic if there weren't people employed to steer and control the vehicles (and pedestrians) around the blockage.
It must be the world's most boring job. It's a service populated by students and the retired (and probably comfy shoe wearers as you get a free smart blue uniform, reflective straps and wand! Just kidding).
What warmed my heart was that the road I took this picture on is one of the widest in the city. Its multiple lanes can accomodate large construction projects without difficulty. But I imagine Japanese people are more used to seeing these little guards than they are bollards and signs and so our mechanical friend above found his way into existence.
As technology improves and the need for manual labour diminshes, I wonder what other positions will soon be filled by wooden cut outs. Maybe the Dail (Irish Parliament) would be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers