Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 25 April 2007

The Land of Love and Orchids

My boss' mother is a celebrated calligrapher.
As I'll be leaving the school soon, and as Japanese people are incredibly kind, her mother offered to do some calligraphy for me as a going-away present.
It was up to me to choose what characters she should write. I chose 愛(ai) 蘭(ran) 土(do). These three characters together make up the name of my beloved homeland: To fit Japanese phonetics, Ireland becomes ai-ran-do.
As I think I explained before, kanji (the Chinese characters used in the Japanese language) can have both a phonetic and idiomatic expression. So, in one way, the words I chose only represent the sounds that make up the name Ireland.
But because kanji have such beautiful, rich layers of meaning, looking at the words together also makes you think 'Land of Love and Orchids'.
It's not quite 'The Land of Saints and Scholars', Ireland's more famous 愛称 (aishou - nickname), but it isn't half bad, eh?
For those of you who are interested, my name in kanji is 巴都律句 patorikku. Unfortunately, the meaning is nonsense. At a stretch, it conveys the image of someone writing well-ordered haiku poems in the city of Paris! Doesn't that just descibe me in a nutshell!!!!
P.S. It was just a happy coincidence that my boss' mother chose to write on white paper in orange ink with a green frame (green, white and orange are the colours of the flag of the Republic of Ireland).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers