Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 15 April 2007

Moving is moving

I started packing up my stuff in my apartment. I will only be posting home some essentials: clothes, books, DVDs and CDs, that kind of thing. Everything else will be recycled. It's turning into a real life laundry.
As it turns out, a much needed life laundry. Half of the stuff I've been sorting through I didn't even realise I had. So not necessary.
Some of the items have been a walk down memory lane, though. I started looking through my diaries from my last trip around the world. I have clearly created a very rosy image of that trip in my mind. Reading through the actual journals tells me it was a lot harder than I remember. Out on the open road I was sick a lot! I also slept a lot: it was doze on the beach here, power nap there. That makes for interesting reading, I'll tell ya!
Looking through the old entries showed me what a different person I was then, how much I've grown and changed, how much I've achieved. One of the days, on some beach somewhere, I'd written a list of life goals. I'd totally forgotten I'd done that. And what do you know, I've only gone and achieved a whole bunch of them over the last few years. It was a really nice feeling.
And though, as I said, the diaries reminded me of the harsh reality of backpacking (I talked an awful lot about insect bites and unsanitary toilet facilities), they also reminded me of the sense of freedom, the adventure, the chance encounters and wonderful knowledge to be gained by taking off somewhere new. I'm getting the jitters thinking about how lucky I am.
I am still far, far, far from ready. But I have two months yet. My idea is to achieve a little something every day. 'Baby steps' as I'm known to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers