Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 19 August 2007

Happy Times

I got into trouble with my dad for writing such negative things about Dublin there the last time. So I'm going to put up photos of some of the (many) happy times I've had since I've been back home.



This picture was taken in the gardens of the Modern Art Museum in Dublin. The sun was splitting the trees the day we visited. It was like 25 degrees. A beautiful day. We had a nice lunch in the cafe, enjoyed some excellent art, especially some recently acquired installations by young up-and-coming artists, and generally had a very nice time. Best of all, because it's a national gallery there is no entry charge. Sure, we pay really high taxes here in Ireland, but we also get some nice benefits.


The Botanics




I'm lucky that my home is just a stone's throw from the National Botanical Gardens. It's a great place to take a walk. They have such a variety of environments: rose gardens, formal french gardens, Japanese-style gardens, woodland, wild flower pastures, hothouses, rockgardens, an interpetive centre... And again, it's all free. It's where I go to think.

Summer at the beach in Dublin







You would be forgiven for thinking that photos of the beach in Dublin in summer are not happy ones. But you'd be wrong.
Even though it was only 12 degrees and I was forced to wear a down jacket and scarf, I still had a great bike ride along the seafront.
I usually don't like bicycles, but I got an opportunity to borrow my sister's wheels for a few hours and really enjoyed the brisk sea air.
Bear in mind too that this beach is in the city, so you can't expect paradise. Plus, I think it has a kind of grey beauty to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers