Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Saturday 4 August 2007

My favourite cartoon


When I was in Vienna I visited the Jewish Museum. I highly recommend it. It's not a big place, but I spent about two hours going through some very detailed exhibits.
One of these was an exhibition of the work of Paul Peter Porges, an Austrian cartoonist who emigrated to the States and became famous for his contributions to Mad Magazine. Check his work out, if you get the chance.
I love the way cartoonists can condense sophisticated humour to a one-cell drawing. It's so multi-layered. So much so that sometimes I can't even really explain why I find the image so funny.
That is the case with the cartoon above. I cut it out of a magazine when I lived in France (about a million years ago) and have kept it in my wallet ever since. Some people keep pictures of their family or dogs or something. I keep rude paper clippings. What does that tell you about me?
I find it hilarious. I think it's the woman's expression and the finger coming to her lip. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers