Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Friday 25 July 2008

Am I turning Japanese?

I have a load of administrative stuff to get out of the way before I head back to Japan - tax, social security, visa, health insurance, the lot. On Monday, I had to head in to the local social welfare office to get a form stamped. I arrive right at the opening time, knowing that the queues can get out of control as the day goes by. There was a security guard waiting outside, telling people which office to go to and which line they needed to join. Now, bear in mind that my form had JAPAN, JAPAN, RETURNING TO JAPAN stamped and written all over it. This guys looks at the form, looks at me, and then says, "So, you're going back to your home country then, are you?" Admittedly, I was wearing a baseball cap which would have masked my face a bit, but I was like, "Come on!" Needless to say, I will be using this story as ammunition next time I let a 'We Japanese' comment slip.
Now, this office is in deepest ghetto, so I knew I'd be in for a bit of a morning. It's all boarded up windows and serious pram-face. It must be the most depressing place to work, but the staff I encountered couldn't have been more polite and respectful. There were only two people in front of me in the queue, so I was sure I'd be out of there in no time. But these two were not leaving that office without a fight and ended up holding up the whole operation (just where you pick up your ticket) for more than 30 minutes. By the time they were done, the line behind me had grown to forty grumbling people. And then, just as I was about to move ahead, this guy jumps in front of me and starts shouting at the man behind the counter. He was all, "I'm just out of detox, and you've cut off my benefit, and I can't go back to me Ma's cause me brothers are there doing junk..." It was just like something out of Shameless. I was trying to be all random act of kindness about the whole thing, but then the people behind started bitching about me letting him in line. I guess I was trying to make up some karma for the homeless guy that I sent packing the other week. Anyway, once I finally got to the counter I was done in under 30 seconds - I will not be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers