Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Thursday 31 July 2008

Movie Madness

I've been on a major movie kick of late. I think it's cause I'm so sick of tired of reading and writing from all the work I've been doing on my report - the only thing I want to do of an evening is veg out in front of the screen. I've watched plenty of dross, but I've also come across a few good ones.
I'd totally recommend "Broken English", if you're looking for an angst-ridden, thirty-something New York indie rom-com. I especially liked it because it had a lot of lines that seemed to come out of conversations that I've had with friends of late:
- It's not wrong to want someone to love you. Most people are together just so they are not alone, but some people want magic. I think you are one of those people.
- Something wrong with that?
- Nothing, but it doesn't happen all the time.
There was one line that had me rolling in fits of laughter. Unfortunately, only about two people in the world (one of whom reads this blog) will get the joke:
So the main character has met a dude, and he is telling her a little about himself on their first date. He explains what he does for a living, and then he says, "But there's not only work. I also play music." And she rolls her eyes and replies in disgust, "Ugh! I'm so glad I don't have an acoustic guitar."
Hearing this line transported me back to my first year in Japan in the local pub of a Sunday evening. It cracked me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers