Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Saturday 16 April 2011

A working weekend

It's no rest for the wicked for me at the moment. I'm on duty as MC of our domestic recruitment events today and tomorrow (Saturday and Sunday).

I find these things nerve racking at the best of times - I'm not given naturally to public speaking (and my brother would probably tell you I'm not particularly given to speaking) - but the anxiety factor has been kicked up a notch in that we are gathering 100 people on the 24th floor of a skyscraper in the midst of seemingly endless earthquakes. We had to come up with emergency plans and I had to add a section to my introduction explaining what we'd all do in the case of an earthquake (scream???). Would you believe we had TWO flipping quakes before the event and one of them was quite a shaker. Luckily we were left in peace for the event itself.

It really is starting to feel like the ground will never be solid again. But we're battling on. And we're going to have to focus on domestic hires because international recruitment is up the spout - we've already had our first prospective employee break their contract and cancel their plans to come to Japan. I totally understand their situation, but it meant about 100 hours of my work from last year (many after business hours) were flushed down the toilet.

Oh well, I'm off to Kyoto for our event there. Maybe a day in the west will give me a bit of relief from earthquake stress.


iPhoneから送信

1 comment:

  1. The constant shaking must be pretty scary. Hope all goes well in Kyoto.

    ReplyDelete

Followers