Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 3 May 2006

The scary recesses of my mind

Okay, so this entry is coming out of nowhere.
Basically, I have tonnes of these weird things that go on in my brain all the time. I'm pretty sure I'm a nutjob. But maybe other people have other similar weird stuff going on all the time, too. If so, please share and help me feel like less of a freak.
So to introduce my topic, I'm pretty sure I have a mild version of Obessive Complusive Disorder.
I talked before with my sister about my loo roll thing and, being the professional counsellor that she is, she was like, 'you're a psycho!'
You see the thing is, I have to have the loo roll pulling away from the wall. I mean that the available paper shouldn't be near the wall itself. It should be at the opposite side, with the maximum distance between paper-for-use and wall. Do you understand what I mean?
I actually get anxious if the arrangement is the other way. It's just not right. I haven't progressed to the stage where I will change the arrangement in other people's houses, though I feel sometimes I'm not that far off.
PS I love those little TP triangles that hotels do for you and I try to do them at whatever convenience I visit - seriously you'll know if I've been in your loo, I think.
Another example of my nuttiness. There's this blog I love to read. I read it almost every day. But the font is really small, so I usually copy and paste it into a word document for ease of reading.
The thing is, when pasting you have to be careful where you click. If you click on an address or highlighted name or something, you will lose the copy and be redirected to that link. No big deal you might think. For a normal person, maybe. But for me, I mean it's been two years since I've been reading this blog and I still hold my breath when copying and pasting for fear that I'll mess it up.
This cannot be normal behaviour (although the whole thrust of this entry is that someone will tell me that it is - seriously a free blog is way cheaper than therapy!)
The thing is, my psycho foibles are not recent. As a pre-teen I gave my folks a lot to worry about with my obessive cleaing slash hiding other people's stuff. I became known for a while as an arranger of coals in the fireplace, my OCD was looking that bad.
Moreover, I honestly unwittingly used to drive my little bro crazy (although I'm sure it was often mutual).
For example, whenever the Golden Girls came on, I would sing my little alternative theme song - and it would drive him MAD! Sleeves-pushed-up-bald-spot-from-the-bicycle mad, I tell ya!.
But I honestly couldn't stop myself - it was like if I didn't sing my own version of the theme song something terrible would happen.
Anyway, I know this entry has nothing to do with Japan, and I usually try to have some sort of link to the old Nippon.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that even here I'm still a few beers short of a sixpack.
Please mail and tell me this is all perfectly normal. (PS your own little foibles would be much appreciated, and treated with the strictest confidence).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers