Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 30 May 2006

What do you think this is advertising?

You all know I love how I’m getting better at Japanese and how I’m more able, day by day, to understand what’s going on around me.
But sometimes I think I’d be better off not knowing how to read.
This is the sign that was smack bang in front of me on a recent early morning commute.
What do you think the sign is advertising? You might be surprised.
I’ll give you a hint - look at where they’ve cannily placed the red star. With me yet?
I’ll translate. The business man is saying, ‘I’m itchy!’ and then underneath, ‘...in my delicate area!’
I nearly fell off my seat. It describes itself as ‘ a balm to alleviate itchiness caused by sweat, uncomfortable undergarments, and the like’.
I decided I had to get a picture, even though it was a crowded Tokyo commuter train.
I did my best to switch off all the flash and camera noise, and so on so that I’d go relatively unnoticed. Of course, I got it totally wrong and ended up letting the bright light of the flash fill the car.
Many heads turned in my direction, and many turned away convinced I was suffering from severe crotch irritation. (PS If I hadn’t been before, I certainly was after my habitual self-induced embarrassment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers