Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Thursday 15 March 2007

Decisions, decisions

A lot has happened over the last few days. My future has become more certain. I WILL finish work on May 31st and I WILL leave Japan for Europe in mid to late June.
I got some very positive feedback from one of the European universities where I'm interested in doing a master’s. But I don't want to jinx it by telling you which one. Nothing will be officially confirmed until June. It could all still fall through.
I hate uncertainty, so I feel very glad to be settling things and finally making plans.
My friend taught me a weird Japanese expression that's used when someone finally makes a big decision: 清水の舞台から飛び下りる (kiyomizu no butai kara tobioriru). Disregarding the metaphor, the literal translation means to jump off the viewing platform of a famous temple set high in the hills of Kyoto! It sure conveys an image of the magnitude of the decision.
This is a culture obsessed with suicide. Just look at the language - "we've" brought you hari-kari (should actually be hara kiri) and kamakazee (should be kami kaze) to name just two misspelled atrocities.
I used to think such a fixation was morbid and unhealthy. I must be assimilating: now I'm more of a mind that death is just as much a part of life as anything else. Maybe choosing your own time to go is another stage of living. Or maybe that just works for the Eskimos! (Get the ref., Dad?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers