Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 5 March 2007

Korakuen – Only in Tokyo

I’m sorry, but this is going to be a bit of a blog dump. I had a crazy busy day yesterday. I have SO much to say.
And I’m not even going to tell you about it all -just the crazy theme park, the roller coaster, the orchid festival, the new art centre, and the new café. I’m leaving out the 12km walk through the city, the hour of yoga, the tofu restaurant feast and the two-hour karaoke session.
I swear I fit more in yesterday than I usually do in a month. I guess I’m worried I might be leaving this great city soon and must make the most of it while I still can.
So the picture above is of Korakuen in the centre of Tokyo.
Korakuen is the craziest place in a city that’s already pretty out-there! I’m sure it’d be illegal in most countries. I dread to think how many Irish health and safety regulations they’re breaking. Hello! there’s a roller coaster running through a building alongside a major motorway. And this in one of the most earthquake-prone cities in the world!
And you know if you get bored of all the shopping and coaster riding, there’s one of the city’s biggest indoor baseball stadia to one side of the complex, and a massive hot spring and water park to the other. Sheer madness.
I had my Sunday breakfast on the terrace of a café in the park. I bathed in the unseasonable sunshine (18 degrees and no coat on March 4th!!!) and sipped my coffee. As I sat there, the roller coaster roared just above my head. Below me a water ride splashed and screeched. To the left, merry-go-round music did battle with the din of the attractions. It sure wasn’t peaceful but it was definitely very Tokyo. If you come to Tokyo, a trip to Korakuen is a must.
You can see more pics in the 'Pats Big Day Out Mar 07' album.


Thunder Dolphin Roller Coaster
In case you were wondering, I DID ride the coaster at Korakuen. As you can see from my expression, it was amazing – pure enjoyment. It’s a hell of a way to see the cityscape. Just before the first drop you have a 360-degree view of Tokyo’s sprawl. I highly recommend the ride to any visitor to Tokyo.
The scariest part is when you come through the hole in the building and feel like the coaster is going to plummet down to the cars on the motorway below. Like I said, in most countries, you couldn’t get away with construction like this.
Thunder Dolphin Roller coaster also wins the award for funniest warning ever: ‘Once the ride starts you may not get off!’ Oh really?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers