Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 13 March 2007

Tokyo's Space-age Seashore

I visited Odaiba yesterday. This is one of the newest areas of Tokyo. It's built on reclaimed land across from the city centre, just on the other side of Tokyo Bay. It's super modern, super clean and super spacious (by Tokyo standards).
As it's built on reclaimed land, if a big earthquake hits, it's complete toast. I mean the sea will totally swallow all these beautiful, futuristic buildings back up. Remember, people, that when it comes to earthquakes, it's all about the foundations. If you're on good land, it doesn't matter if you live in a hovel (ehem, me), you'll be okay.
I tried not to let thoughts of imminent destruction preoccupy me as I enjoyed a pretty good but overpriced lunch. I guess I was paying for the view. It was amazing. Tokyo Bay, Bay Bridge, Tokyo Tower and the city's most famous scrapers were all served up to me. Check out the pictures in the album 'Odaiba'. You'll even see the replica Statue of Liberty we have. It's too kitsch for words, but I feel it kind of works. It gives us stressed out Tokyoites a feeling we're on holidays even though we're still at home.
Odaiba is definitely a town for 'playing'. They have all the amusements you can imagine. Museums, galleries, water parks, concert venues, game centres, restaurants, shopping complexes. Imagine La Defense in Paris with a lot more Sega!
The newest of these attractions is called 'Muscle Park'. It takes the game centre idea and applies it to your body and mind. Think batting cages, balance games and tests of strength and endurance. I don't really need a game to tell me I can't throw, can't count and can't do a push-up to save my life. But with a group of friends I think you'd have a blast trying out all the fun activities.
I'm a simple man with simple tastes. One of the best parts of the trip for me was taking the monorail home. This space-age train snakes around the complex, by the seashore, and winds over the bay. For the price of the journey home you can enjoy the city from an array of new angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers