Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 23 May 2007

Waste, waste, waste

Warning: RANT THREAT LEVEL ORANGE!!!
The preparations for the 'Big Move of Ought Seven' continue apace. And I'm fed up.
If I never hear the word ごみ (gomi - refuse, waste, garbage, rubbish, junk) again, it will be too soon.
I am now an expert on the intricate (and often contradictory) rules of my city's refuse management system:
Made of plastic with no metallic parts? 燃えるゴミ (moeru gomi - burnable rubbish).
Got some metal in there? 燃えないゴミ (moenai gomi - unburnable rubbish)
More than 50cm? 粗大ゴミ (sodai gomi - large refuse) - needs a special appointment for collection.
Fridge, TV, washing machine, PC? Tough cheese! The city won't take it.
Being the good citizen I am, I have been following the rules to the letter. Even to the point of wanting to bang my head against a wall. I mean, please explain to my why a big, clumsy two-ring gas cooker is unburnable and therefore collected without charge, whilst a little folding cushion chair (seriously like 52cm in length) must have a special collection date arranged and be paid for. Aaarrghh.
Anyway, those are the rules, so I stick by them.
So I had gone to great trouble itemising and paying for some large items to be collected. Today, the refuse truck called while I was out.
Now again, I stress that I want to try and be a good citizen. I put a small sofa out, laying it on its side so as to take up minimal room. Having the legs sticking out seemed a little dangerous to me. Thinking safety first, I unscrewed the legs, put them in a little bag, and laid them down beside the sofa.
I get home tonight. All the big stuff is gone but Mr / Mrs Refuse Collector has left the legs behind. I'm assuming this is because taking them would have meant exceeding the 5-item-a-day limit. Oh I'll tell ya, I would have gladly screwed the chair legs into the dustman's coal black heart then and there.
The upshot is that I am going to flout the rules. Those legs will be going out with the regular trash. And if anyone gives me hassle about it let them feel my wrath.
End of rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers