Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 8 December 2009

お手(袋)洗い - Ote(bukuro)arai

My designer gloves - seriously, the only designer item I possess - just fell in the toilet bowl at work. And that wasn't even in the top 5 cruddy things that happened at work today: it's been a long and trying one.

But let's focus on happier toilet-related matters. The video below was taken in the Caretta Centre in Shiodome and is probably the best thing I have experienced in Japan since the musical coffee vending machine with internal camera. This toilet can do it all: here it is relaying some of the days news (those wanting to brush up their Japanese can look at the captions scrolling on the screen behind the loo). But more than that, it can update you on stock prices, the latest weather, play games, sing songs. It even has it's own live weblink. How many of you can say that?

If I were the boss of the Toto Toilet Company, I would so make this interactive talking functionality a standard spec. Can you imagine what a smile it would bring to your face to have this friendly guy welcome you every morning and suggest a game of rock paper scissors. Love it!

PS I think that, with this entry, my love of Japanese toilets has crossed the borderline from mild intersest into unhealthy obsession. But what are you gonna do - aside from work my life here is feeling kind of empty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers