Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 2 July 2006

Technology in Japan

I will keep this short - see previous entry!
I just wanted to hear your opinion on how techonolgy is advertized in the west.
I was watching an ad yesterday. It got me to thinking that when technological products are marketed here in Japan, the company underlines how the item will affect your life emotionally.
To the best of my recollection, in Europe at least, when you see an advertisement for a new piece of technology, it's all about how fast it is, how powerful it is, how small it is, and so on.
But here in Japan, it's more like, you can use this camera to record your baby's smile (because you'll be working so hard it's the only way you'll ever see it). Or this mobile phone will help ressassure you your child has safely reached the school (because you won't have time to drop her off yourself). Or your daughter is too busy with studies to come and visit you, the aging parents, but this super-fast internet connection will keep your family bond from falling apart.
These are the stories lines of real ads over here. I can honestly say I have no idea what the specs are for any of these devices. But I sure know what sort of impact they are supposed to have on the emotional life of the customer.
Robots and artifical interreaction are everywhere over here. Kids get their first tamagotchi at the age of three or four and upgrade from their. Robots vacuum, dance and serve you drinks. ATMs bow to you, reversing trucks speak to you, gas cookers tell you when your pasta is boiled. Even pet robot dogs whine if you don't give them enough attention.
I think this is all a little uncomfortable for us in the west. We don't like machines playing with our emotions. We prefer to see them as simple tools. Or am I totally wrong here?
A funny aside. I went ot the Sony Centre in Ginza to check out the lastest version of the Aibo, a pet dog which mimics real canine behaviour to an incredible degree. I swear to God, I just touched the thing and it curled up and died, flashing a big 'recharge necessary' sign all up in my face. Whether natural or atricifical my paternal instinct is clearly short of the mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers