Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 20 November 2006

My future job

There was a programme on Japanese TV the other day. It was about the Japanese boom in France. The Land of the Rising Sun is incredibly popular with the French right now.

The show featured the third annual Japanese Expo in Paris. Young Parisians go there to pick up the latest styles in food, clothes, interiors, and so on.

From a Japanese (‘We’ Japanese) perspective, the French have got some of it horribly wrong. Hello, sushi with a side of white rice? Can you say ‘constipation’?

But other ideas offered a fresh slant on Japanese living. It was cool to see these chic ladies wearing traditional workmen’s cleft boots (地下足袋 - jikatabi - as pictured above) with their couture.

Anyway, the programme confirmed what I should do for my next career. I totally need to become a trend spotter for some think tank or high-flying consultancy or something.

What do you think was the hottest item at the Expo? What do you think all the trendy Parisians wanted above all else? What do you think I’ve been talking about since the inception of this blog? That’s right, the Japanese washlet / electronic bidet toilet, that’s what!

I’m so ahead of the curve. If the consulting doesn’t work out, maybe I can start a business importing and installing these conveniences in all the smart capitals of Europe. Anyway, want to go in on the business with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers