Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 2 July 2007

I'm gonna be on Malaysian TV!!!

My second day in KL, I decided to take a walk at Bukit Nanas. This is a small swathe of rainforest in the centre of KL. It acts as much needed lungs in a city with far too many cars and motorbikes. I wanted to go to this green space to try and clean out my own system. Having walked around KL for only for only a day, I already felt the onset of black lung.
It was a nice little early morning hike. It only took about 30 minutes. You get to see KL Tower up close too. Early and all as I went, it was starting to get hot on the way down. I was sweating by the end. And I mean not just glowing – sheets of sweat were pouring off me. And naturally this is when I met the camera crew.
Yes, I’m going to be on Malaysian TV! In a very sweaty and perplexed state.
They trapped me really well. In another setting I’d have run away. But to leave the park you have to head down about 50 steep steps. A man, who turned out to be an assistant director, was loitering around the top. I didn’t pay him much heed until I’d just passed him and he shouted, ‘Stop, please!’ I stop, all confused. Then I look down below and there is a ten person crew with a presenter sitting on the last step ready to do a piece to camera.
I start to go down the steps and from both the top and bottom come shouts of, ‘No wait!’ I turn back to the guy nearest me. He says, ‘Wait until the director says action. Then just go down the steps normally.’ Yeah that’s going to happen. Like I normally have a camera crew looking up my nose as I sweat buckets and pray that my zipper isn’t open.
A few seconds pass. An assistant does the whole clapboard and countdown thing. The director gives me the nod. And I walk down without falling (a greater concern than the sweat at this stage).
When I get to the bottom the presenter holds a microphone to me and asks, ‘How was the scenery?’ The back of my head answers, ‘Very beautiful.’ I sped past the crew without breaking my stride.
Here's hoping the sweaty mess ends up on the cutting room floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers