Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Saturday 3 January 2009

Tokyo Tower Version 2.009



Here is a snap I took of Tokyo Tower today. Loving the addition of a festive 2009. I'm also loving the reflection of the Tower that I captured in the nearby Atago Green Hills skyscraper. It's all very 'Bright Lights, Big City', which I missed while living back in Dublin.
Tokyo Tower is the new Mount Fuji for me. By this I mean that it's the thing that makes me remember I'm living in Japan. When I lived in Kanagawa Prefecture, I would be walking along, going through the daily grind, when all of a sudden beautiful Mount Fuji would pop up out of nowhere. Seeing this sight, I'd stop what I was doing and take a moment to change my way of thinking: I'd make myself realise that I'm not just going about my daily chores, I'm living in an amazing place that I had long dreamed of coming to. Now that I'm a resident of downtown Tokyo, my chances to see Mount Fuji are few and far between. But, as I said, the gorgeous tower above does just nicely.
By the way, a lot of people ask me why I came to Japan in the first place. I often spout off something about the unique culture, the mixture of old and new, the welcoming people. But the truth is, my interest in Japan can all pretty much be attributed to this 1994 TV ad. Click on the video below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers