Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 12 January 2009

Another foodie weekend

I spent my glorious three-day weekend enjoying what Tokyo does best - great places to eat out. On Saturday, I hit up a vegan slash vegetarian restuarant in Azabu Juban. Such v-friendly restaurants are v. rare in this city, so I felt v. spoiled to have a whole menu to choose from. Azabu Juban is where where all the achingly cool people hang out. I felt well out of place; the staff and other customers alike were all black clothes, weird wooly hats, and retro medical-card glasses. If you've ever been to a trendy part of Tokyo, I'm sure you can picture the type.
I had a bit of a melancholy moment over lunch: at the table beside me were a group of young ones who were a little loud (i.e. drunk) and talking rubbish. They seemed just like the kind of people I would enjoy hanging out with. I wanted to be their friend. I wish it could be like when you were a kid, and you could just go up to someone and say, "Do you wanna be my friend?" Although this is really just waffle on my part, as I was never able to do that even as a child.
Then yesterday, I went all high altitude and had a delcious Italian meal on the 30th floor of a skyscraper looking out over the sprawling city. Not only was the view amazing, but they had the best desert I've had in ages (not hard, considering I don't usually order desert). It sounds a bit weird, but - take my word for it - it was good: a whole banana and vanilla-icecream calzone with chocolate sauce and fresh mint. A nice strong double espresso on the side, and I was a happy man.
Today, I saved a bit of money by cooking at home and just treating myself to coffee and cake in the afternoon. In Akihabara, they have this new donut shop that's known for its weird and wondeful taste combinations. It was a bit exxy, but totally worth it in the end. I got the matcha an-donut (a regular donut filled with sweetened azuki bean paste covered with a powdered Japanese green tea glaze). This mixture of East and West produced a donut that was deliciously sweet on the outside, yet bitter to the core...just like me.
All in all, a gourmet few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers