Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Thursday 1 January 2009

My Assassins are not so okeley dokeley...




I wasn't going to put this picture up here for fear of turning this blog into a foot fetishist's dream, but my big sis said I had to. These are the new runners that I just bought - yet again, at a whopping discount - and I love them.
I think they are tastefully gaudy. My sister is not so sure. I said, "Well, at least I won't get run over (alluding to their fluorescence)..." And she said, "Unless it's by some driver who just can't stand to look at them any more." The cheek!
You can see that I have put the picture under a screenshot from an episode of the Simpsons. For the nerdilingers in the audience - *ahem* little bro *ahem* - it's from epsiode 216 'Bart's Dog Gets a F'.
When I was a child slash teenager, there was such a thing as the overpriced, aspirational super sneaker... Nike Air Jordans, and the like. I never had a pair. In my pubescent, square-eyed mind, the 'Assassins' worn by Ned Flanders represented the epitome of the flashiness that such shoes were all about. I long dreamed of owning a pair.
Turns out that you can't really trust childhood memories or dreams: thanks to the wonders of the Interwebs, the picture above shows that said 'Assassins' are a lot more subdued than the runners I ended up buying. I guess the gaudy grew in my mind with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers