Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Saturday 8 August 2009

A couple of items from my "Only in Japan" File...

Let's play a little game, shall we? What do you think this handy device is?

The answer?








A portable washlet! That's right - you know those wonderful Japanese toilets that I am always going on about. Yeah, you remember... the ones that shoot water up your whatsit to irrigate your colon and reduce teepee consumption. Well now you can have one for your handbag (or manbag) when you travel. Seriously, only in Japan, folks.

The only thing that is holding me back from rushing out and buying one of these puppies is that it looks extremely like my electric waterpik and I am concerned about getting them confused.

The other thing I wanted to tell you about that could only happen over here occured earlier on today.

So I was taking a walk in the neighbourhood over the river from me. It's a real downtown, traditional part of town and has a pretty Japanese garden (清澄庭園 Kiyosumi Teien) that's well known for its pond full of multicoloured carp.

So there I am crossing the road to get to this park when I am nearly run over by a sumo wrestler. Ryogoku - the Tokyo home of sumo - is just down the road. It was just so incongruous and comical that I nearly wish he had knocked me down so that I would have had more time to take in the scene. I mean the guy was like 200 kilos and had the whole lacquered hair and top knot, and yet there he was riding a tiny granny bike complete with front basket. Again, not to labour the point, but only in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers