Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Thursday 11 March 2010

Soba and studies...

Tokyo is undoubtedly an expensive city, but when you know where to go, you can live quite cheaply. I feel sure it's less expensive than Dublin, at least.

This was my dinner after work this evening. So yummy and only 500 yen (about 4 euro). You can't go wrong - you have your buckwheat noodles, your soup, at least 6 different types of vegetable, and your tofu and egg for protein.

It's from my favourite little soba shop near Tokyo station; a very unassuming little place tucked away in the back streets. You'd easily walk by it and, even though I've been there tonnes of times myself, I always get a little bit lost trying to find it. The rewards? You always get a seat, soft lighting, and some laid-back jazz.

I can't remember if I told you or not, but my course started back up there in the middle of January. Ah, the joys of further education. I thought nothing would ever be as difficult as the interpreting module, but now we've moved on to sight translation. This is where they give you a document, but no pen, or paper, or dictionary and you have to tell them exactly what's written on the sheet. And I mean exactly - if you try to replace a hard word with a simpler one or to skip a seemingly superfluous bit, they'll make you go back and start again. The reasoning behind this is that in a contract negotiation, for example, every dot of an 'i' and cross of a 't' can be important.

To this end, I have a kanji test tomorrow. Now, I actually really like kanji (the Chinese characters used in the Japanese language) and quite enjoy studying them. But I've just not had a free minute this week. In the last module, I was pretty good about handing in all my assignments and keeping my notes in order, but this term is looking a lot more rough around the edges.

It's a new teacher, and she's a bit of a chatter, so I always try to get a bit of natter going at the start to minimize the amount of lesson time. But that won't fly tomorrow as it'll be straight down to the test. I guess I should go off and do a bit of work, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers