Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 23 March 2010

You guys, this is where I am going to be in 39 days...



This little slice of paradise is called Ishigaki Island. It's in the prefecture of Okinawa, the tropical archipelago lying a couple of thousand kilometres south of the Japanese mainland.

I have been feeling a bit down of late. Being the 'head-in-the-sand' kind of guy that I am, I decided to live a bit in a fantasy rather than take active measures to deal with my issues!!!! Hahaha. So I booked and paid for my golden week holiday yesterday almost on a whim. I know it's not exactly an intensive course of psychotherapy, but I am feeling a lot better today, that's for sure.

I cannot wait to go back to Okinawa. It's like going to Hawaii: as soon as you land at the airport, there is something in the air that tells you this is a place to relax, forget your worries and have a good time. I am so looking forward to spending a week kayaking, cycling, walking, snorkeling and sailing my way around this little island.



The islands of Okinawa still have remnants of their own indigenous 'Ryukyu' culture. One expression of this comes in the use of the 三線 (sanshin) in their musical tradition. This is a kind of three-stringed, snake-skin-covered banjo, and it makes a very distinctive sound. I was taught first to call this a 'jamisen', but when I went to Okinawa I was told that doing so quickly points you out as a main-lander. When I hear it being played it makes me feel a sweet sadness that is magical. It must be the 'Danny Boy' Irish DNA in me.

You can hear the sanshin at the start (and throughout) one of my favourite Japanese songs: Natsukawa Rimi singing Nada Sousou. I've posted the video below.

6 comments:

  1. hate.levels.rising.rising.rising......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to deny it - I'm feeling pretty lucky at the moment. Don't worry though - I'll probably get squished in a typhoon or tsunami when I'm there to balance out the karma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting the video...i agree about the sweet sadness feeling...exactly what I'm feeling right now...:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a cool song, right. It's a good one for karaoke cause it's not too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will try to sing it in my karaoke/sayonara party tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bon voyage! Wherever it is you're going, I hope you have a safe trip. And if you're leaving Japan, I hope you're leaving with lots of happy memories.

    ReplyDelete

Followers