Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 3 May 2009

Obaachan behaving badly

The right-wing nutjobs were out in full force today: it's 憲法記念日(Kenpo Kinenbi - Constitution Day) so they were all rolling around in their black vans hollering about how the disputed islands north of Hokkaido need to be gotten back from Russia by hook or by crook.
I was making my way through town wondering why all these cops were stationed at every intersection decked out in serious riot gear - they looked like full-on modern samurai. Once I approached Kasumigaseki (near the parliament) and heard the ruckus and the blaring 'patriotic' music, it all became clear.

I gotta tell you, if those guys stationed themselves outside my shop or office or apartment - as they sometimes do in areas where there are large populations of foreigners - I'd find it intimidating as hell. I'd also probably fall for the bait and be provoked into some sort of aggressive retaliation... like blaring Celine Dion on a loop right back at them (which, in all honesty, I'd probably enjoy just a little too much).
Anyway, I tried not to think too much about these wingnuts and went about enjoying my day. I went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography in Ebisu. There were two major exhibitions on. One was a collection of photos of sacred religious sites around the world...
And one was a kind of grotesque display of grannies gone wild, doing their thing with crazy abandon.
Can you guess which one I ended up seeing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers