Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 4 May 2009

Tokyo's Bronzed Naked Ladies

Bet that got your attention! This city is full of statues of naked women. I've taken note of this phenomenon before, but yesterday was the first day I started gathering evidence. Really, way more so than in any other city I've been in, you'll see these oddly similar works of art dotted throughout the city.

'Bare' in mind that these photos are just the small sample I came up within a 24-hour period and a 2-km radius of my house. Seriously, the naked female form is clearly the go-to inspiration for corporate artists in this country. I should give 'Our Laz' a call and have her try get a commission. If there are any artists out there reading this that do end up getting paid a big lump of money by some Tokyo patron, don't forget to cut me a slice of that action. I'm going to start adding art consultant as a line on my CV.

I will keep my camera with me over the coming days and snap some more, if I remember.





Found another two on my rather soggy walk today - seriously did the city government just buy a job lot or something? The second woman from today's batch looks like she was caught unawares by the artist in the dressing room, poor thing. And then they had the audacity to just plonk her outside a Mini-Stop convenience store!



I found another one right by my office after work. Dear City Planners - please try harder!

One station - a total of four naked ladies between two statues. Ueno, you're outdoing the rest of Tokyo!


And it's not just Tokyo - the disease is spreading. Here we a double-whammy in Tokaimura in Ibraki Prefecture (where we have a research centre). Two naked ladies in one shot - fore and background. Not bad for a small, regggional village.

And in the interests of fairness, I present the first Tokyo Bronzed Naked Man that I have come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers