Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Saturday 30 May 2009

Things that made me happy today...

Rainy season is fast approaching; over the last few days there has been a fairly constant drizzle interspersed with heavy showers. This being Japan, things only exist on schedule - so technically, we can't call it rainy season until the end of next week. But it still feels like it to me.

This time of year tends to get me down. So I'm trying to stay all kinds of positive and find beauty and joy in the things around. To this end, here are some things which made me really happy today:

These magic chopsticks outside Ueno Station make me inordinately happy whenever I pass them. I guess they bring back childish, Mary Poppins-like dreams of inanimate objects coming to life.




With the rains of May and June comes lush green growth and a fertile energy - even here in the city. The rains also signal the blossom of beautiful hydrangea. I think the blue of these flowers that I spotted in Akihabara is one of the most beautiful colours I've ever seen.



How could you not be happy being welcomed by this little guy at your front door every night?

Tully's White Chocolate and Hazelnut donut is the best donut I have ever tasted. And their coffee is the nicest of the big chains over here, too. So Japanese that they give you a fork to eat it, don't you think?

My friend K. now lives in Singapore and we never see each other and (as you all know) I'm rubbish at keeping in touch. But whenever I'm feeling low I just think of a sentence she taught me and it cracks me up every time. It's probably one of those 'you had to be there' things, but we were talking about needing to go to the bathroom and she said, "Ooh, I've got to go - I've got noogie knocking at the back door!" Maybe it's an Australian thing.

Finally, I've sent this picture to a few people already - it made the newspapers here a couple of months ago and I just think it is incredibly cute. It's like some kind of Pavlovian therapy - I cannot feel in a bad mood looking at babies in buckets, especially looking at the expression of the black-haired kid to the front right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers