Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 20 March 2006

American military

Sometimes it's really easy to forget that the US has a major military presence over here. But then you can be walking in a park right in the centre of downtown Tokyo, and come across a sign like this. It just reminds you that Japan is still a major player in the Asia-Pacific theatre, as far as the American military is concerned.
It's weird because the location is this expensive, exclusive, residential area, and yet there is an American helipad right there in the middle of it all.
My own beloved hometown of Zama has only featured in the BBC news twice, to the best of my knowledge.
The first time was months ago when this American guy who deserted in North Korea was debriefed in Zama.
Then, more recently, there was a huge protest where 2000 people opposed the transfer of more troops from the South of Japan to the American military base in Zama.
I'm not really too sure how I feel about this issue. I totally understand that the US is playing a balancing role, discouraging North Korea from firing dirty nuclear weapons into my backyard.
On the other hand, I also understand that transferring young, inexperienced and often uneducated officers to my city could bring about an increase in antisocial behaviour and general trouble. I really hope that Zama won't become a more dangerous place to live.
Up to now, the people based here have been high-ranking, mature and settled. If we get a bunch of crazy, new recruits what could become of this town.
You know what though, I'm actually worried that I might have broken the law by taking this picture at all. I know that the US services can be really strict about security. So if anyone comes knocking on your door, asking aboout this blog, just channel Manuel and say, 'I know nothing!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers