Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 29 March 2006

Blossom Watch 2006 II

Well, they're almost here!
'We' Japanese keep such a watchful eye on how the cherry trees are coming along that we even have it down to percentages. Today I would say we have reached about 70% of full bloom in the Tokyo area. This up from only 30% a few days ago. It's very exciting.
To be honest, I have been naughty and skiving off Japanese a bit to go and view as much of the flowers as possible. Previous years I haven't had it so good, what with busy schedules, bad weather and plain bad luck. But Blossom Watch 2006 is going doing in the annals.
The other day I enjoyed a small local park at about 30% bloom - as I was cutting class, it was me, the mothers with babies, the eldery and infirm and the unemployed.
Then today I took a 5km walk under a tunnel of white and pink petals. You have to believe there's a god when you get a chance to see such beauty.
Then Friday is a special day off work. I'm going to have lunch in town with some friends and hit one of the most famous viewing places in Tokyo. It's likely to be me and a few hundred thousand of my closest acquaintances. But it should be fun.
For those of you who are interested (and I guess it really only means you, Mam - and maybe not even) I am going to upload all my botanical photos from the last few days into a special album.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers