Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 20 March 2006

St. Paddy smiled down on me

For Tokyoites, St Patrick's Day was officially yesterday, the 19th of March.
As it's not a public holiday, the festivities are always transferred to the nearest weekend.
All week long the weather forecast predicted rain for Sunday. I was bummed as every other day was due to be beautiful.
Then on Sunday morning, I awoke with a sore throat and a little fever. I as good as decided there and then not to bother going to the parade.
I had to teach one lesson that morning, so I got on the train and was surprised to see that the whole train was decorated with one advertisement. This sometimes happens if some company is starting a new campaign or launching a new product or something. It must cost a fortune.
Anyway it was a clear sign from St Patrick to cheer up and haul ass to the parade, as each poster used this massive clover logo. The good man had changed the whoel train in to my own personal shamrock bedazzled Paddy-wagon.
I am so glad I ended up going as the weather was beautiful - a perfect Spring day. It was crisp, clear with a deep, blue sky and warm enough to go without a jacket.
The parade was much the same as in previous years. Lots of marching bands. Cute Irish red-setters and Irish wolf hounds. Japanese girls in Irish dancing costume. Football supporters, pub owners and lots and lots of cooperative associations.
The green-mohawked Japanese guy wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes won Man of the Parade, as far as I was concerned.
A weird and wonderful cultural mix and a great expression of the idea that anyone can be Irish on St Paddy's Day.
If you want to check out the photos in detail, I have a whole album up on this site under 'St Patricks Day 2006'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers