Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 24 February 2009

Oh yeah, I live in Japan...

I was NOT in the mood for yoga tonight. So instead, to get my heart rate up, I dragged my lazy bones out for a night-time power walk around the neighbourhood. After all, I have to get in training for that 100km dealio in May.
My circuit reminded me what a cool area I live in. There are so many great little bars and restaurants that only come alive after dark. I'm such an early bird that I tend to completely forget about the city's nightlife.
I was especially taken aback when I walked right by a kimono-clad and fully made-up figure heading out for a night of geisha-ing. I shouldn't have been so surprised - I was in Ginza after all. But in all my years in Japan, I've never actually seen a geisha leaving for work before. It was spitting rain, so she even had the traditional red paper umbrella; just like the one you got, little bro.
I wish I had had the wherewithall to take a picture - it was one of those 'one moment in time' things that you could only experience over here. But, it probably wouldn't have been appropriate anyway.
That little encounter really made me stop and think, "Oh yeah, I live in Japan. Ain't that great!" It's a surprisingly easy thing to forget as you go about your daily work routine and pursue mostly the same activities on the weekends that you would anywhere else in the world.
You see, even walking can be a form of yoga - my little stroll ended up bringing me completely back into the now. Oohhhhhhhmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers