Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 10 October 2006

Back from the dead

Hello all,
Sorry for that interruption to blogging transmission. I have been sick. I've only been de-interneted for a week, but I now have so many unanswered emails in my inbox that I get a little panic attack every time I look at it. I apologize for the delay in replying and thought that a blog entry would at least be a start.
So to my pox! I won't bore you with the details. It was just a bad, feverish cold. I soldiered on as best I could.
Usually I love living alone. I love the privacy, the independence, the self-centredness. But when I'm sick I hate it.
Usually I love working for a small school. I love the homeliness, the intimacy, the quiet. But when I'm sick I hate it.
Honestly, there is nothing worse when you have a raging fever and almost no speaking voice than to have to be perky, interesting, and instructional. Well maybe grocery shopping or cooking or laundry. They're probably worse. All of which we singletons still have to do when we're poorly.
But it's almost passed now. The hot and cold sweats are gone and the voice is now more 'nasal' than last week's 'on death's door'.
Sunday, I mitched off Japanese school and Monday was a national holiday, so I stayed in bed for two days straight. You know the truly galling thing? After weeks upon months of endless rain, they were the two most perfect days of the year - beautiful blue skies, crisp, dry air and a nice warm temperature. I ask you!
Being holed up in bed also forced, FORCED me to watch all of the second season of Lost. I had fully intended to spread it out and measure my enjoyment. But damn it, if I couldn't go out in my own blues skies, then at least I would enjoy theirs.
And man, that series is so cool. I will have to watch it again just to figure out all the cool links between the characters and plot lines. Very very fun. Please somebody email me if you want to swop Lost theories.
Oh I also tried to be a little bit highbrow too during my convalescence. I had an article in Japanese about Samuel Beckett that I'd wanted to read for ages. I was always put off by its difficulty. But it was well worth the effort. I learned so much. Did you know he originally wrote Waiting for Godot in French? Clever ba&#&%d. And then he only went and translated himself for it's hugely successful move to the London stage. It actually cleared up a lot for me: I'd often wondered how a man who used so many Irish names in his titles had come up with Godot. Did you also know he came from money? Hello Foxrock! I always thought he had the whole starving artist vibe about him. I was also interested in seeing him as an expat. The love hate relationship he had with Ireland really resonated me. He may not have chosen to live there, but, by God, he never let anyone say he wasn't Irish. To be honest, the article only took about an hour to read. I quickly returned to my true lowbrow nature and vegged and dozed until the bedsores started to kick in.
I'm back at work and school now as normal. I'm at about 80% fitness. Another few percent and I promise I'll get emailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers