Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 10 October 2006

Watch your wallet!

Continuing evidence that I'm becoming more Japanese than the Japanese themselves:
Today on the train, a woman tapped me on the shoulder. She pointed to my bag and said, 'Dangerous!'
I've become so lax about my personal security that I stand in the train, with my bag open behind me, and my wallet peaking out, just asking to be pinched.
When I first arrived in Tokyo, I remember seeing other Japanese being equally careless. I thought they were idiots. Now I'm as bad, if not worse.
All the people who've visited me have chided me at some point for taking so little care to protect my stuff. But the idea of somebody stealing from me seems so alien. I can't imagine it.
I guess when the Japanese themselves are warning you, it's time to change. Today was my wake-up call.
Plus, if I don't change my ways, I'll be fleeced the second I'll land in Dublin airport this Christmas. I'll be lucky if the canny Irish thieves leave me more than my socks and a duty free bag for modesty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers