Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 7 February 2007

A brown pants update...

From our 'What the Rock?' files:
I literally just uploaded that last entry when my phone rings. It wasn't a number I recognised but I answered it anyway: something I hardly ever do.
Who was it but Mr Ishii from one of the companies I'd only minutes earlier applied to. He wanted to do a preliminary telephone interview...in JAPANESE.
It was hilarious. I was just in shock. I kept answering his questions and then giggling like a mad man. I was that close to asking if this was a joke and if one of my friends had put him up to it.
Imagine the scene (in Japanese)
Him: 'So you say you have a Japanese government qualification. When did you receive this?'
Me: 'Just last night *cackle, cackle* I'm very quick!'
Him: 'And you mentioned in your cover letter that you have no Japanese translation experience but that you did some translation from French to English. What was the topic of the translation?'
Me: 'Oh it was sometime to do with doctors *cackle* I don't really remember, it ws AGES ago *cackle, cackle*
Him: 'And I understand you have an English resume prepared, but do you have a Japanese version available?'
Me: 'No. I only got my license last night!' *snigger*
Him: 'Do you know how to write one?'
Me: 'No.'......'but I'll find out!' (to myself - 'Phew, nice save!')
Him: 'Eeer thanks.'
Me: 'Thank you and goodbye' *guffaw*
I tell you. I've lost a kilo in weight in the last five minutes. Oh the horror that is job hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers