Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 21 February 2007

My Irish Eyes are Smiling!

I got a great email from the Irish Embassy yesterday. It was outlining the events for the St Patrick's Day Festival next month.
Along with the usual parade, dancing, music and so on, there's going to be a really special illumination.
Tokyo tower is the symbol of the city that is dearest to local people's hearts. It has a very romantic image, and was constructed around the time when Japan made it's great leap forward to global economic domination. It represents all that was good about those times and all that many feel has now been lost.
Anyway, to celebrate Ireland having 50 year's of diplomatic respresentation in Japan, the tower is going to be lit up in emerald green for the evening of March 17th. I can't wait. I know when I see it I'm going to get a frisson of patriotic fervour. I may even burst into 'Amhran na bhFian' in the street.
To any Tokyoites reading this blog - please do not worry. Your hard earned taxes are not going to be paying for this frivolity. The good people at Glenn Dimplex (Dad, I'm sure you remember them well) are picking up the tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers