Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 11 February 2007

The gravity of the situation...


I think when the laundry basket is starting to give off its own gravitational pull it might be time to do some washing!
This picture is so typical of the Scorpio in me. Just like with yoga. I hadn't gone in a week and then took a lesson tonight. Half way through I thought I was about to expire and vowed to force myself into the studio at least three times a week from now on.
My little scorpion mind swings from being a clean freak or fitness nut to living like an extreme slob who can barely walk up the stairs. Then I'll go and swing all the way back again.
It's a sign that my mind is in a total mess when the things around me are not in order. It's not really surprising, considering all the thinking I've been doing over the last two weeks about where my destiny lies. Still no decisions made, but the call of Europe is getting stronger by the day. My mother's direct line to heaven must be in fine working order.
Needless to say there was no call back for another interview from the guy I spoke to the other day. He probably thought I was on crystal meth. Onwards and upwards.
If I do move back home, last night will be one of the kinds of night I will really miss.
Headed into a really old-fashioned Japanese pub tucked away in this tiny space between two buildings. It was just like a little side street bar you'd see in a black and white movie - lean to building, red hanging lanterns, peeling posters advertising long-gone brands.
And the food - so traditional: just what I love. Fermented soy beans mixed with ground yam (tororo natto), wakame seaweed in vinegar (wakame su), a kind of angel hair seaweed in vinegar jelly (mozuku), char grilled aubergine and peppers, cold tofu in soy sauce topped with ginger (hiyayakko). Yum! How will I ever survive with half a shandy and some pork scracklings when such feasts are standard beer accompaniments here???
And it isn't just the food I'll miss. What about cheap karaoke? Oh for the cheapness! Total dive of a place and a machine not unlike old Bessie in her curmudgeonly ways. But we belted out all the old classics. I'm up to knowing two Japanese songs perfectly now. Barely need to look at the screen. And the others I can make a stab at if the melody is easy. I have 'some' speaking voice today. This is an improvement from Christmas time karaoke in Ireland where I couldn't speak for about three days. There was rejoicing from those around me at the time!
So my resolution to be more social this year is moving on apace. On top of last night, my friend got me to join a sort of Japanese Myspace. I'm up to two friends now (including my original introducer). It's very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers