Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 19 February 2007

I haven't talked about toilets in AGES...


I'm in a housekeeping mood of late. Seeing as I've been making lists and blogging about events from last December, I thought it high time I told you about my biggest culture shock in going back to Europe at Christmas time.
As you can see from the photo above, here in Japan all urinals are built with the bowl going right down to the floor, as you can see. A waste of ceramic, perhaps. But 'we' Japanese are a varied race and this way men of all heights can be accommodated.
Imagine my surprise on arrival in Schipol Airport to find that the urinal is, in fact, a small ceramic cup placed half way up the wall. Now I'm 1m83cm, and even I was thinking to myself, 'I think I could do with a bit of a foot-stool or something here.' Those pesky tall Dutchers.
But oh the shame! I felt for the poor Yoda-like Japanese salaryman who came in after me and had no choice but to use the kiddie's toilet. Balloon motif and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers