Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 17 June 2007

A grave issue

The graves in Okinawa are a little startling. They’re large and quite ostentatious tombs. Seriously, more gorgeous than the farm houses I saw. And they seem to pop up everywhere, in the most unexpected places. There are three just at the entrance to my hotel. I know that ancestor worship is a big deal in Japanese culture. It may be an even bigger deal in this Ryukyu island culture. I was told that the graves are so big because families congregate there and have big parties and drink a toast to celebrate their dead. The strange locations might have something to do with Chinese feng shui too. I know that the Okinawa has been tugged between the influences of China and Japan for centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers