Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Wednesday 20 June 2007

Okayu

I did have a bit of a ‘we’ Japanese people moment this morning. I was looking for a place to enjoy breakfast. It seemed to be all fast food restaurants and coffee shops. I wanted something more substantial and healthy. In Myeong Dong (the trendy shopping area in the centre) I came across a shop with a big Chinese character for お粥 (okayu) on its window. This is a kind of rice porridge usually flavored in many different ways. I love it. I practically ran indoors. I ordered what turned out to be the best vegetable rice porridge I have ever had (with the obligatory and delicious side orders or kimchi). And all for only about 4 euro. The funny thing was that every other customer in the place was Japanese. And we all took photos of our food when it was served!Ah, my people. Overhearing Japanese did give me the first twinges of nostalgia and possible future homesickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers