Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Monday 11 June 2007

Hello Kitty Death Mask

You get used to seeing strange things when you live in Japan for a while.
I've entertained friends with stories of roller-coasters passing through shopping centres, hot stew in a can sold from vending machines, the active market in second-hand underwear (preferably unwashed).
But today's discovery takes the biscuit. I was walking past a chain store pharmacy when I grabbed a picture of the contraption above. Can you guess what it is? Looks like a Hello Kitty death mask, right?
In fact, it's a cover Japanese women wear as they sleep to make their faces smaller!
Bear in mind that having a tiny face and huge eyes (just like you see in all the anime and manga) is the aspirational aesthetic over here.
The box says something like, 'Wearing the germanium infused mask has a sauna-like effect, tightening skin, burning fat, and improving the overall line of the jaw.'
I think with this I can say I am leaving Japan having seen it all. Insane.
On a personal note, I'm getting nervous now. My big round-the-world trip starts in two days. I'm pretty much at the end of my to-do list. Now I'm stressing about what important things probably never made it on to the list in the first place. I will also be cleaning until my knuckles bleed for the next 48 hours, or so.
Aside from that all is good. I think I have money, tickets, passport and hotels sorted out. The rest is yet to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers