Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 3 June 2007

Memories of the Manly Ferry

Today has been a weird day of disjointed time.
I went out last night and had some food and some drinks and ended up missing the last train home. I'd confused the weekday and the weekend timetables. Woops!
For someone who is so anal and controlling about many things, I'm incredibly lax when it comes to getting myself home safely and on time. Memories of missed Sydney ferries, sleeping on beaches, and mysterious telephone numbers found in pockets are flooding back to me. The shame.
But I'm nothing if not an optimist. I took this 1am surprise as a chance to get some exercise and enjoy a beautiful, creamy pink, waning moon.
I ended up walking some 20km in 4 hours. For those of you who know Tokyo, I made it from Seijo to Machida without stopping. By the time I got to Machida the moon had abadnoned me, the sun was up, and the first train was about ready to pull out of the station at 5.11am.
There was a surprisingly large number of people joinging me on that first train of shame. Who ever said the Japanese aren't party people?
I slept a solid 8 hours and woke up today without even the slightest muscle twinge or joint ache. I wasn't even tired, just confused about what time of day it was at all at all.
In the end, it was a great little adventure and I got to say a private, nightime goodbye to the city I love so well.
P.S. For those of you who think I'm crazy, a taxi home at that time of night would have cost me about 90 euro (14,000 yen) - enough to keep me alive in Malaysia for several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers