Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Sunday 27 August 2006

Dad's triptych



It was my sister's birthday yesterday. She asked my Dad to create three pieces of art for her as a gift.
His speciality is making a relief of dried flowers and plants (especially bog cotton from the west) and paint.
Above are the fruits of his labour. I love them. I'm calling them his first triptych.
I'm not being a pedant. I know nothing about art. Seriously zero. But I used to be a tour guide in Dublin's government buildings. There was piece hanging there by one of Ireland's most famous modern artists, Mainie Jellet, I think. Or maybe Evie Hone. It was a beautiful work, but more than that, the new word I learned fascinated me.
I love that I once again have the chance to use it.
However, before my exceedingly precise mother posts a corrective comment here for all to see, I'm aware that I'm not describing the above art exactly correctly here. My dictionary defines a triptych as 'a picture or carved design on three pieces of wood placed side by side, especially one over an altar.' But details schmetails. It's a triple word score, people, and I'm not giving that up.
Now that the word is out there, your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to use it three times in a sentence tomorrow. Good luck and let me know how you get on.
P.S. Commissions will happily be passed on to my Dad. He's taking early retirement this month and will easily be able to knock up a triptych or three for anyone who's interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers