Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Friday 25 August 2006

Nearly lost an eye today

What are the chances of this accident happening in Ireland: nearly poking one’s eye out on a chopstick drying by a kitchen sink. Slim to none, I would say. But here in my flat it’s an almost weekly occurrence – utensil threat level orange, at the very least.
Some background: I love my flat. It’s conveniently located. It has a happy, homely vibe. And (for Japan) it’s pretty big. But it is, nonetheless, ageing and eccentric. Not unlike its inhabitant.
I’m used to the fact that the walls are made of paper. I have grown an extra layer of calcium on my forehead from repeated bashing on the too-low doorframes. Curvature of the spine from the midget-tailored counters? Not a problem.
But what really gets my goat is the architects gave me a bathroom that is nearly bigger than my bedroom, and yet didn’t see fit to include a bathroom sink in their design. That’s right, all non-shower ablutions have to be done in the kitchen. Gross, right? And pretty dangerous, too, as it turns out.
So back to today’s near gouging.
As is my wont, I’d washed a load of dishes last night and left them to dry over night by the sink. This morning, running late from too much coffee and newspaper time, I was leaning in to the sink to rinse my brushed teeth. Then I felt a little discomfort around my left eye. Not pain – just discomfort.
I realised that the tip of a chopstick was sitting snugly in the fold of skin between my eyeball and ocular cavity.
Amazingly, I didn’t freak out. I slowly and calmly eased back, stood straight and (not so calmly) examined my eye in the mirror for damage. Not a scratch. Not even some bruising or an irritation. Seriously though, a centimetre either way and I’d have been composing this post in Braille. Unbelievably lucky. Thank you to whoever is looking after me.
Morals of the story: Learn to wash and put away (never gonna happen) and try to minimise the preparation of dishes that might require a fork!
Peace out,
Gimpy of Cadwell Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers