Words from an Irishman on his way home...

Tuesday 15 August 2006

A note on diversity

In the interests of full disclosure, the last entry has just been slightly edited.

I had made a comment about Dublin being 'knacker' ridden.

I am ashamed to have used this term.

My sister gently and very appropriately pointed out that this is not a slur against young people involved in delinquency or bad behaviour. It is a slur against an ehtnic group in Ireland (the travelling community), and as such should never be used.

I apologize and promise to try harder to think about what I say in the future.

I really admire my sister, her friends, and colleagues who are fiercely careful to embrace and celebrate diversity in the words and deeds.

I want to be like them and promise to make more of an effort in the future.

I love words - they are my life - and I know the power they hold, for good and bad.

Again, sorry.

Also, I'm happy to receive any other editorial comment.

The unquestioned life is a life unlived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers